Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Our House

Well, I was hoping to give you a breakdown of the new policies designed to correct the limping economy, but Secretary Geithner fumbled the ball.  I hope this is not reflective of what we can expect from him going forward, or I will be the first one in line screaming to have him removed from office.  Now is not the time for him to discover he isn't up to the task (especially since we closed our eyes to this scumbag's tax issues).  Reading between the lines, I think we are indeed going to see some sort of Federal and Private Sector assumption of these toxic loans.

Fox news, the home of Fair and Balanced news (yeah, only a moron would believe that) is running a quote from the mayor of Las Vegas proclaiming that President Obama should apologize for his comments concerning his city.  I have been paying attention so I was a bit surprised to hear this, but then I read the article and remembered this was Fox News.  Here is the "offensive" quote:

"You can't get corporate jets, you can't go take a trip to Las Vegas or go down to the Super Bowl on the taxpayer's dime," Obama said.

Yep, that's the "offensive" quote, and here is the article to which the POTUS was referring.  Please note that Fox didn't allow commenting on this article -unlike most other articles.  I mention this as proof positive that even they knew it was a bottom feeder article at best.

Congress is currently grilling the executives of the first eight banks that accepted TARP money from the government.  While I realize that this is pretty worthless in terms of getting anything done, I will admit a certain pleasure in seeing the squirming.  So far my favorite exchange was summed up by CNNMoney thusly:

And when Treasury first announced its capital injection plan in October, JPMorgan Chase and Wells Fargo reportedly scoffed at the idea that they should take government funds.

But they were given little choice as former Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson hoped that providing capital to all of the nation's top banks would keep credit flowing and prevent the economy from deteriorating any further.

One lawmaker suggested that the time is now right though for banks to pay back taxpayers.

"For anyone who contends that you do not need the money and that you did not ask for it, please find a way to return that money to the Treasury Department before you leave town," said Paul Kanjorski, D-Penn.

The Washington Times is reporting that an Arizona rancher is being sued by sixteen illegal aliens for thirty-two million dollars.  It seems they are upset that this rancher captured and then turned them over to Border Patrol when they tried to cross illegally into the U.S. through his ranch.  Okay, I am sure there is more to this story, but on face value, what the heck?!  Not only does this rancher have illegals dumping trash, damaging equipment and killing his cattle, but now they are going to use the court system to wear him down both physically, emotionally, and financially?  This is absolutely absurd, and I encourage all of us to show solidarity with Roger Barnett.  Just to silence the critics, it appears that he did capture them at gun point and had a dog, but there is no evidence that he harmed or mistreated a single person (out of 12,000 captured over the last few years).  Crazy story....

Our House by Madness

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Vegas thing was HUGELY overblown. The Mayor should apologize to all of us. I want the five minutes back that I spent trying to get to the bottom of such a non-issue.

About your other points, Obama really dropped the ball on Monday night. I admit that I did not vote for the man, but I was actually pleased that we would have an articulate man in the White House for once. He certainly did not deliver.

I too fancy myself a moderate. Unlike many Republicans, I want Obama to succeed. Hell... Get Clinton (Bill) back, I don't care. As long as we get some fresh ideas and action. What I got from Obama was more of that "blah blah blah failed economic policies of the last eight years blah blah blah." That is campaign BS. You are the President now.

Anyway, your blog is actually pretty well written.

Rick Beagle said...

My first few reactions to your comment were:

1)Holy crap I got a comment? And he isn't trying to sell me a way to increase my penis size?!

2)Mom? Mom, is that really you?

3) Pfft, a moderate? How in the hell am I supposed to offend him?

Um, when a business gets their first dollar, the local superstition is that you are supposed to hang it from the wall for good luck. So with that sketchy analogy in mind you become a permanent addition to my wall! Unless of course the economy gets worse, and um, you know, I need to print my own money....

Welcome!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the laugh. I too seem to have gotten a comment on my site. :)